Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Happy in Lalaland - In Praise of Grace

Everytime I get asked how I'm doing I find myself really happy to say "I'm doing well".  The people who ask me the question are, of course, truly interested (to help) in finding out how I'm doing and what they could do for me, tough year that this has been.  "I'm doing well" seems so unbelievable given all the challenges that our family had to endure and will continue to endure with each passing day.  I'm letting the gray hair grow as a testament of my endurance.

I've often wondered how people go through life's challenges especially those who go through it with seeming ease and grace.  I can tell you (and those who were around me) for sure there were many moments where I lacked for both.  Those were not proud moments and certainly not one I'd be happy to write or read about hahaha.  So I'll spare you the gore and know that my contrition is true.

If I could narrow down my lifeline it would come to these two: Faith and Memories.  Frequently my battles were won with prayers, my own and certainly those of others. The memories of goodness have rescued me from moments of immense sadness, self-pity and ingratitude.  I always tell my husband that the best gift we have received from our parents, more than inheritances, more than ANYTHING material, is the gift of the Catholic faith.  I know from personal experience that my mom's heroic faith is already bearing much fruit. 

When I look at what we accomplish as a family on a daily basis it leaves me breathless (and AMAZED!).  I can truly say that what we are able to do and to endure is the mark of a Supernatural grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Midweek Daybook - The Valley Of Decision

  Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision - Joel 3:14 Outside My Window ...