Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Of Derailed Plans: Serviam in Cedo

Happy First Day of Spring! I'm writing this shortly after waking up from a peaceful 12+ hours of slumber.  Yes, you heard that right, 12 hours of sleep! Thanks to a super-low thyroid count my body is in rebellion in a way I only experience during pregnancy.  My days have been spent mostly ensconced on the couch while the world around me continues to swirl with maddening activity.

As I peruse my planner with it's well-laid days of chores and routine, I laugh partly in frustration and partly at the audacity of ambition my then-able body is able to accomplish in a day.  My Spring cleaning list stares back at me with a hint of mockery and that glorious fitness (p90x) worksheet, arghhh, five weeks of hard work all down the drain!

I don't intend to whine-blog about this somewhat miserable existence.  The physical depression is temporary until the thyroid medication catches up with me.  In the meantime my brain is valiantly trying to rise above the lies a depressed body can tell. And lie it does.  As I sit here surrounded by mounting chores barely able to say "yes" to my vocation it is very easy to give in to feelings of inadequacy. So I turn once again to praise, praise to foil the enemy.  Then the Lord brings to my mind these truths: of blessed friendships, the ones who watch my kids, clean my kitchen and call/visit to check up on me, a husband who picks up my slack (and then some), children who are obedient and responsible (if they need to be LOL) and a reminder that sufferings (in my case very temporary) are not without merit.

As these Lenten days come to an end,  I have to be okay with doing less. The Spring cleaning list can hush it's tone of perfection while I try to perfect my soul in submission. Serviam perfected in cedo.

3 comments:

  1. Rest well, friend. Sounds like our Lord is calling you to the couch. Hope the fatigue departs soon and the extra rest required only serves for an invigorating spring. You're in my prayers for better days ahead. :)

    -Autumn
    http://www.asadsongbetter.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, those prayers are what gets me through these "unproductive" days. Your blog, wow, it's so beautiful. Your words are poetry, the kind one reads in books. I'm subscribed! ;-)

      Delete
  2. You are so kind. Thank you! I wish I had an ounce of your wit, humor, and humility. I so enjoy your blog pondering, insight, and a glimpse into your home.

    ReplyDelete

Midweek Daybook - The Valley Of Decision

  Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision - Joel 3:14 Outside My Window ...