I broke a cardinal rule yesterday. It was the first day of Fall, my cardinal rule is/was not to decorate until the cleaning checklist is all marked as complete. If you saw my checklist you will have known I am delusional. As a lover of all things Autumn (see profile photo), I try very hard to get that checklist done so on the actual day I'm whistling a happy tune while the decorations go up.
As life crushed my reverie into reality, yesterday found our house in a state of minor catastrophe. This after a weekend of volleyball games, my sister-in-law's 25th wedding anniversary celebration and my idiosyncratic idea that the said checklist can be conquered in two hours that led to my procrastination.
By the time 4pm rolled around yesterday my kids had the boxes of decoration up and ready to go as I laughed at their ambition. They batted their eyelashes as they begged me to decorate. With my broken resolve I put up the festoonery amidst the clutter and muck. Don't worry I dusted where the decor was to go up, the cobwebs were not about to move on it's own accord. Whilst the public places of the house got prettified, I submitted myself to the fact that my checklist will take all of this autumnal season to complete. The one lesson I learned from this exercise is that beauty trumps clutter, all the time. Once the decorations were up the motivation to tidy followed. Now I'm just waiting for the motivation to wash the floor.
How was your first day of Fall?
 |
| festive |
 |
| mother nature really needs to make glittered leaves |
 |
| no cobwebs! |
 |
| Fall is off to a good start with today's feast of St. Padre Pio |
I am so glad you gave into those batting eyelashes! Happy fall!
ReplyDeleteI'm such a sucker for those eyelashes LOL
DeleteLovely!! I've been having the same kind of thoughts... 'I'll get the decorations out when I'm caught up on laundry'... Ha! That will be in about 18 years. You've inspired me to just go for it!
ReplyDeleteAs you know these little cleaning triumphs only last a couple of hours in a big household as yours and mine. But the decorations are helping keep the cheerfulness.
Delete