Thursday, September 3, 2015

The Rituals Of Back-To-School

Most everyone, by now, is back to school.  We are still awaiting books and I still can't get out of Summer mode.  I tend to be ritualistic about certain things, school being one of them. For me there are certain things that need to happen before I can sit down and write lesson plans.  It all starts with a novena to our homeschool patron (St. John Marie Vianney) followed by the annual homeschool mom's retreat hosted by our support group, deep cleaning the house and finally, a camping trip.

Our mom's retreat was beautiful. This is my favorite quick get-away.  My best confessional counsels happen at this retreat and this year was no exception.  The priests who minister to us during this weekend are a gift. I was very thankful to the insightful person who put a box of tissue in the confessional, I used a lot of it.  And all the thanks go to the amazing women in our homeschool group that make this retreat so wonderful.

We were so privileged to have Alicia Hernon from Messy Parenting as our speaker. She also happened to be a gifted musician leading us in song during Adoration. The theme this year was Rejoicing In God's Order. Her talk was packed, I wrote copious notes. I continue to ponder how I use my time each day to bring about order in every aspect of my life as mother, teacher, wife, friend and daughter of God. Before the retreat I've already been stuck on that final blessing at Mass when the priest says, "glorify the Lord with your life". Do I glorify Him with my life?  Honestly, some days I know I do not and it shows in the dis-order that comes with not using time wisely.  Hence my diminished time on social media, which happens to be my "favorite" time sucker.

School starts for us after Labor Day. My kids are ready but I need all weekend to get myself ready.  In the meantime, let me share some photos before they remain eternally in the abyss that is my pictures folder:


I take this picture every year at the retreat house

persevere in prayer

the retreat chapel
matching rayban's for people with bad eyesight
yurt camping
building a tent despite the yurt
breathing in the beauty
tending the fire
walkie-talkie
beautiful sky at the beach
at the fish pond
don't know what this pose is about lol

he caught a fish
putting my feet up
night fishing
what's for dinner
it's always fun to camp during a full moon
toasting to something
s'mores are yum!
sparklers
homage to the Buckeyes

I love my camera

2 comments:

  1. Love that campsite! Wow.

    And we still never got together. Come on lady! And we've started school already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's our favorite campsite, it's even prettier in the Fall. Let's compare calendars to get together before volleyball craziness begins!

      Delete

Midweek Daybook - The Valley Of Decision

  Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision - Joel 3:14 Outside My Window ...