Thursday, February 23, 2017

A Warm Winter

It's sick week in my household. One kid is on the mend, another is about to succumb to it and I am in the throes of what I call the "mommy malaise" wherein my body is feeling under the weather but not enough to keep me in bed all day. A simmering in my throat, congestion in my chest, limbs that feel like noodles but no fever to keep me down. Maybe that is the effect of all the immunity five children has given me. I do not remember the last time I've been sick enough to merit a full-blown day or two in bed. Still, I will be running this ship on my rear all day from the comfy perch of my recliner. Bliss.

Winter has been a sorry affair in my neck of the woods. It's been uncharacteristically warm and perfectly bland. I am of the kind who loves a good dumping of snow frolicking outdoors with the kids in their sleds as a warm stew is simmering in the stove. A girl can dream. My romantic Winter storm dream is fueled by the fact that I am mostly stay-at-home with no cares about actually driving in the treacherous roads.  But as much as I would appreciate a foot or two of snow right now, with the approach of Lent (and March and St. Patrick's Day!) I've decided I am, in fact, ready for Spring.  So I am leaving my Winter dreams behind to embrace whatever the rest of the season has to offer.

The warm weather does have it perks in the form of more field trips.  We are currently studying Ohio History so we have a bucket list of places to visit. We are trying to get in as many fields trips as we can before we have to send the second child to a brick and mortar high school (two down, three to go!). Recently we had the opportunity to visit the Hopewell Culture National Historical Park. This park features earthworks and mounds constructed by indigenous peoples believed to have flourished from about 200 BC to 500 AD.  Just to physically view what we have been learning is amazing. I am in such awe of how the indigenous people lived. I left that place with so much food for thought that I will be pondering all Lent. Next on my bucket list is the city of Marrietta.

As usual, I have pictures to share because Winter, despite the sleeping trees, still manages to put on a picturesque show. Enjoy!

I keep forgetting that part of Ohio is in the foothills of the Appalachian. I get so excited when I see hills
earth, water, trees and sky - Mother Nature is a show-off
these kids, this guy - I love my life
the view from my front porch
Hopewell mounds

 






How is Winter in your neck of the woods?

2 comments:

  1. Such a pretty day to visit. I have my own Ohio bucket list with the kids. Marietta is nice. It's been a long time since I did more than by pass near on my way south. I spent my first year of college there. I rowed on the Ohio and Muskingham.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to visit the toy museum! There is so much to see and do in Ohio especially from the historical perspective. I love that you rowed!!! You should write about it.

      Delete

Midweek Daybook - The Valley Of Decision

  Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision - Joel 3:14 Outside My Window ...