Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanksgiving Week - So far, so good Monday

Thanksgiving is a busy holiday for us, having the glorious honor to host dinner at our home.  Here's my thankful list before I get all stressed out mid-week:
  • that 10-year old boy who started "dragging" me to daily Mass, even that 6:30AM one in that far-away church in Worthington (it is far away when we have to get up at 5:30!)  I should also say we don't go there everyday, just once a week, the rest of the time we go to the church behind our house and it's NOT at 6:30
  • that 10-year old boy who, in the absence of kneelers, kneels before receiving Communion.  Not a profound bow but a pious genuflection. He told me once that he just couldn't help himself, "I just have to do it". Me thinks the Holy Spirit and him are becoming fast friends.  He's also one to stay kneeling during Adoration, after telling him he can sit he said "it's okay mom, I really enjoy talking to Jesus this way".  Did I tell you I love this child?  I have a lot to learn from him.
  • vinegar and washing soda - the new cleaning love of my life, for carpets.  I've always used vinegar but today I decided to add washing soda with fantastic results.  The vinegar smell is absent and the carpet is clean. I love a clean carpet.
  • crossed-out lines on the chore list - it means I'm accomplishing something and there should be no reason for me to stress out (we'll re-visit that in a couple of days
  • pot-luck style Thanksgiving dinner - yup, that's how we've been doing it for a few years.  We provide the turkey, stuffing and mashed potatoes, the rest of the family fills in what's missing.  I'm thankful for this set-up every year, it doesn't put the burden on one family. 
  • the Blessed Mother - after all it is the feast of her Presentation today.  I've recently started praying the Memorare as my "centering prayer" (no not that heretical kind!) to ground me in the truth that my vocation as mother needs constant aid. 

Happy Thanksgiving Week!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Midweek Daybook - The Valley Of Decision

  Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision - Joel 3:14 Outside My Window ...