I am! To some of us who live in areas favored by Mother Nature, this Winter has been truly penitential. Still, there is something about this season of being at home, inward, cabin-fever inducing days that is conducive to self-examination. And Lent is the natural progression of this self-examination after the revelry of the holidays.
I have been pondering Lent for awhile, probably because I have the luxury of time with it's late arrival this year. With all the craziness of the past year, health scares, my father's death, I need every minute of Lent to soak it all in. I even thought about having a theme for this year's Lent to reflect this Scripture passage that has been on my heart and mind for awhile:
"Your inmost being must be renewed, and you must put on the new man." - Ephesians 4:23-29
When I pray this Scripture passage my challenge is identifying what is being a new man for me. When I pray for my own conversion, what exactly am I asking God? Where am I going with all of this? I don't know, I hope that 40 days of Lent will answer that question ;-)
This also ties down very nicely with one of the prayers of the Liturgy of The Hours (feast of St. Stephen) that really jarred me into contemplating this new man -
"Grant, Lord that we may imitate what we worship...."
We are made to worship, either ourselves, a created matter or another being, hopefully that another is God. When I was pondering this I thought of all the things that take up my time and compete for my attention. The counterfeit "gods" that I have created. I need Lent to root that all out.
16 more days. In the words of the Psalmist- My heart is ready, O God.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Midweek Daybook - The Valley Of Decision
Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision - Joel 3:14 Outside My Window ...
-
Outside My Window - dark. The outdoor Christmas lights have been officially unplugged and the ornaments on the maple tree taken down. The H...
-
" The purpose of the Church's year is continually to run through her great history of memories, to awaken the heart's memory s...
We have weeks and weeks before we have to think about Lent, right? ;-)
ReplyDeleteAnd this brutal Winter will make it feel like an eternity lol
DeleteWow. Lent. Thanks for forci g my mind to go there. I need it. :)
ReplyDeleteSorry Anne! LOL
Delete