This year Lent comes early with Ash Wednesday falling on February 13. Every year it seems, I wait 'til the last minute to decide what I'm giving up and what virtue to work on. I know it cannot work that way this time around. Plagued by an addictive personality, quitting anything (especially vice) cold turkey is a struggle for me. This early I'm already (slowly) working on my Lent resolutions so come Ash Wednesday I am not falling flat on my face with 39 days yet to go.
I love Lent. The season of alms-giving, fasting, penance and prayer is truly humbling and quite frankly humiliating (in a good way). I'm also looking forward to a lot of reading to tie in with the church's celebration of the Year of Faith.
I'm not the only one starting early. We talked to the kids about praying now and really thinking about what to give up and what virtue to work on. Like me, I don't want them to be scrambling on Ash Wednesday morning in figuring out what they are going to do. As time permits, I will share our Lenten progress or lack thereof and resources.
We try to have a big to-do on Fat Tuesday. We bake
(fattening) goodies and invite friends over to celebrate with us. If
the weather cooperates we hope to do it again this year.
With the early arrival of Lent is also an early arrival of my Spring cleaning list! We always host Easter in our house so I take that opportunity to get my cleaning schedule in gear. These past couple of years have been a breeze since my oldest three have been willing and able to take over some of the bigger chores. When my husband saw the list he commented that we do all those things regularly anyway. That made me feel a little bit better as I feel like things never get done around here.
Are you ready for Lent?
No comments:
Post a Comment