Yesterday I alluded to one of my favorite life lessons as I discerned with the Poor Clares. After searching through the archives I found the original entry in one of my Christmas daybook posts aptly titled Our Finest Gifts We Bring.
If you've read this before you may skip to tomorrow's post, tomorrow :-)
I am seriously pondering...that
moment many years ago when my then 4-year-old cried after
listening to the Little Drummer Boy. He was saddened that the drummer
boy had nothing to give the baby Jesus. I have felt similarly many
times in my life that I suffer the same fate - that there is nothing
(good) for me to give this God who gives me everything. Just then I am reminded of this little story I tell people (too) often - when I was
discerning a vocation to the monastic life. Mother Abbess, in her
infinite wisdom, told me that the monastery is not a hiding place, we
only find there what we bring. And it is so in life, isn't it, you find
what you bring. These words still save me from a life of pity-parties. So say a few Ave's for me as I
(struggle and) strive each day to bring the Lord my finest gifts - the
fruits of my calling as mother, wife, friend, sister, daughter and child
of God.
You give your beautiful self every day. Praying for you.
ReplyDeleteYour post reminded me of a Nicole Mullen song titled Lamb of God. The chorus is:
Oh Lamb of God
Oh Prince of Peace
What tribute shall I bring to worship thee?
I have no gold to lay at your feet
So Lamb of God I offer me
It's an awesome song. Google it. And email me when you're ready for a date.
I will definitely google it, maybe my children even know it they are the praise music aficionados over here. I'll be ready for that date when I get back from Canada, keep praying!
Delete