Friday, November 8, 2013
Thank You, Bittersweet Milestones
The six-year-old walked up to me to declare "mom, this word says get". I dropped everything I was wasting my time on and gave him a big hug, he just learned to connect letter sounds to read a word. As I was grinning from ear to ear he found more letters to sound out, forming them into coherent words. The slow and deliberate decoding of each brought back memories of three other children before him - all learning to read under my tutelage.
I congratulated and showered him again with kisses today as he happily pointed out to me that he can also now tie his own shoes! Gosh, what next, drive his own car?!
There is no greater reward for the teacher/mother than these milestones, bittersweet moments of accomplishments that remind of childhood years passing too quickly. Nevertheless, there is gratitude for the glint of joy in a child's eye as he discovers the joy of how to say "get". For this, today, I am really thankful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Midweek Daybook - The Valley Of Decision
Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision - Joel 3:14 Outside My Window ...
-
Outside My Window - dark. The outdoor Christmas lights have been officially unplugged and the ornaments on the maple tree taken down. The H...
-
" The purpose of the Church's year is continually to run through her great history of memories, to awaken the heart's memory s...

No comments:
Post a Comment