Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Tried And Loved Recipes

I just finished processing my first batch of homemade applesauce with the help of my eleven-year-old.  There's still about a bushel left so I was thinking of canning apple pie filling next.  I love this time of the year.  The work that goes into processing apples allows me to slow down without having to think about the next thing on the list to check off.  The frenzy of hosting Thanksgiving gets to me around this time every year.  With the older kids busy at their brick and mortar school, I have less help especially with the bigger chores. Having to focus my energy on something other than Thanksgiving to-do's is a welcome respite.  Thank God for apples, despite Adam and Eve!

Anyhow, for this post I would like to share some of the recipes I found on Pinterest that I actually loved.  I won't post the actual recipes but here are the links -

Ultra-Crispy Slow-Roasted Pork - with a name like that what is there not to like!  This recipe is a winner followed to the letter.  I asked the family if I should put something else next time (garlic powder, rosemary, etc) and they all agreed it does need anything but salt and pepper. Confession: I used sea salt since I don't have kosher salt.
mouth watering goodness
The World's Greatest Baby Back Ribs - is it the world's greatest? I'm not so sure.  But it is definitely good. We are not big on barbecue sauce around here so we just serve it as is when done. I have tried many different ways of cooking baby back ribs and by far, this is what we all agreed on as the best method (especially for the set it and forget it kind like myself) and the best tasting.

The Best Apple Crumb Pie Ever! - I think you can't post anything on Pinterest unless you can claim it as being the best. Once again, I am not sure this is the best ever but it gets pretty darned close. I doubled the recipe and both pies were gone within 24 hours!  Maybe it is actually the best.

My Favorite Simple Roast Chicken - yes to this!  This is a fail-proof recipe. The skin is crunchy, the meat is moist and the recipe is uncomplicated.  And I know complicated roast chicken recipes with the various iterations I have ruined tried over the years.  This is officially now the only way I roast chicken.  My lemongrass-stuffed version is not missed.

What are your go-to recipes?

4 comments:

  1. Mmm, that pork looks divine. I love a crunchy skin. My favorite way for ribs is to do a salt and pepper seasoning, put in instapot for 28 minutes, and finish in oven on broil with a touch of BBQ sauce. (I like it plain too, but the kids like the sauce.) It doesn't take long under the broiler to crisp it up. I did the same for turkey wings/legs last year, minus BBQ sauce of course, and it was really good! This only works for a small crowd though as it takes awhile for multiple batches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The instapot is on my Christmas list. I do, however, feel like I have too many kitchen gadgets.

      Delete
    2. I wondered about that aspect when I put mine on a wishlist, but I have since tossed my crockpot and rice maker. I love my instapot and use it once a week at the very least, definitely more in colder weather.

      Delete
    3. I don't think I can ever get rid of the crockpot! You are brave. I do have some appliances (electric wok, etc) that hardly ever gets used. Oh and the deep fryer I did toss many years ago. Huh, I am a kitchen appliance hoarder!!! lol

      Delete

Midweek Daybook - The Valley Of Decision

  Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision - Joel 3:14 Outside My Window ...