Tuesday, October 10, 2017

And Now The End (Of First Quarter) Is Near

"May my teaching drop like the rain, my speech condense like the dew; like gentle rain on grass, like showers on new growth." - Deuteronomy 32:2
 
This Friday marks the end of the First Quarter for my kids in traditional school.  I have been asked multiple times what it's like to have this hybrid lifestyle of having both traditionally schooled and homeschooled kids.  In a word, busy.  This new life of transporting to and from school/activities is something I'm learning to embrace.  My oldest calls me the soccer mom without the soccer playing kids with all the driving I am doing this school year.  Putting so much mileage on my mini-van is my new fear lol

To be honest, I don't mind this new form of busy.  It helps me to be more organized and intentional about my days.  It also challenges my homeschoolers to stick to a reasonable schedule to accommodate the traditional school calendar.  I will, however, admit to missing the flexibility of having everyone at home.  We can no longer just take an impromptu field trip or plan a camping trip (or any trip) in the middle of the school year. We also have to be conscientious about outings that will affect school pick-up times.  It's our new normal and we are learning to deal.

I can't deny, though, how much easier it is to have only three to teach at home.  But I also feel like I am starting over again especially with my youngest two. I'm teaching handwriting/cursive again,  single and double digit addition and all these elementary things that are so labor-intensive.  The biggest beneficiary of this double life is definitely my middle child. With a few years of teaching under my belt he is getting the best homeschooling experience as I am able to really pour myself into preparing him for high school while he also gets to do the fun stuff his younger brothers are doing. As for me, I am enjoying seeing the fruits of our sacrifices and the generous grace being poured upon us.

More than the academic successes (and misadventures) of our oldest two, seeing how they are growing in their faith and convictions even outside the bubble of our home is so gratifying. Having said that I also haven't prayed for those two as hard as I pray for them everyday now that they are no longer under my tutelage.  I am learning humility beyond my capacity to understand! lol

Overall, I am thankful that the formative years were spent/ are being spent in our home, under the umbrella of our deeply-held beliefs and the beauty of our family life. 

How is your school year going?


4 comments:

  1. I was always doing both -- never had a year where we weren't following the school calendar and watching the clock. I'm glad your school year is going well! I feel like I'm completely starting over with a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the transition is going as smoothly as it possibly could be. We're about done with week 8. I decided to do 4 on, 1 off through Christmas. I'm glad because it takes a physical and mental toll with the four of them now - two labor intensive ones and the other two still have some big struggles that are s-l-o-w-l-y improving with the years. Overall, good, though. It's amazing how feeling well (for the most part) improves upon the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya!!! I'm already looking forward to Thanksgiving break.

      Delete

Midweek Daybook - The Valley Of Decision

  Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision - Joel 3:14 Outside My Window ...