But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for the Lord sees not as man sees; man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.” - 1 Samuel 16:7
I'm currently listening to One Direction to inspire me to write today's Write31Days prompt - "what makes someone beautiful from the inside out". I'm trying not to dance while I'm typing LOL. This song (What Makes You Beautiful) also happens to be my favorite in the Just Dance wii game. But I digress...
Have you ever met someone who is so stunningly beautiful on the outside but as soon as they start to speak you begin to realize the external does not match the internal? I think we've all had that experience. I'm not talking here about judging another based on ideological differences. We can all get ugly about ideological differences. What makes a person beautiful from the inside out, in my opinion, has everything to do with the exercise of virtue. The recognition of this virtue usually takes a relationship with that person to truly see their internal beauty. As quick we all are to form a first impression we should also be quick to realize that we may be wrong. Ask me how I know!
Instead of making a list of what makes (a generic) someone beautiful from the inside out let me tell you about the traits of people I personally know and consider to be amazingly beautiful:
Generous - I make a special mention here of those of you who have opened your homes and your hearts to fostering and adopting.
Self-less - I know so many of you I can't even begin to write about all that you do
Joyful - despite what life throws your way you radiate a peace and joy that can only be described as divine.
Funny - sarcasm, dry sense of humor, it doesn't matter! If you make me laugh you are beautiful to me
Tranquil - I know so many of you who possess an incredible calm while ten of your children are vying to get your attention and you still have a smile on your face (okay maybe not ten at the same time but you know what I mean!)
Filled with the Holy Spirit - these people are a breed of their own, they walk by and you are electrified by something heavenly about them. I want to be like them when I grow up.
These are a few of my favorite things about beautiful people. And you know what makes you beautiful? That you were made in the image and likeness of God.
Don't forget to visit these beautiful friends of mine - Autumn, Nicole, Barb, and Christine
![]() |
| One Direction knows what makes you beautiful. My daughter asked why I was on Google looking for pictures of One Direction lol |

And now I have that song in my head... So who were you wrong about? :)
ReplyDeleteIt's on a loop here so I might actually get sick of that song. I have been wrong about so many people so I've learned to hold off on judging based on first impressions.
DeleteThis is of my favorites posts of your 30-day series. I love how you turned it around and called out beauty in others. This speaks volumes of your heart and the beauty inside of you.
ReplyDeleteThank you. I think beauty is hard to write about because we are all different. But the true beauty that lies in all of us is that which God infused in our soul. And that is harder to see sometimes.
Delete