So uh... I'm back. It's child #1 here. Actually scratch "child #1." Since my friend Jacob did a name reveal before me, I might as well follow suit. Besides, I'm 18 and why not? My name is Manolo. Nice to meet y'all.
What I'm thankful for (along with The Boys) is the wonderful SPORT of Ultimate Frisbee. I highlight "sport" because people are out here disrespecting my gig and lowering it to just a club like chess which, for the record, is not a sport. Sorry not sorry to chess fans out there (including my youngest two siblings). Just had to put it out there.
I am thankful for Ultimate because it is teaching me how to lead by example. I'm rather proud to say that I am one of the two A team captains this season. how I like to describe Ultimate is a mix of basketball, soccer, and football. In its most basic form, the person with the disc/frisbee has to keep a pivot foot and cannot run once it is in his possession. He can throw to anyone on the field. The purpose of the game is to score in the opposing team's end zone like in football. Each score is worth 1 point. Games go to 15 (or 13 depending on the tournament or day) or until 90 minutes has passed (this amount of time can also change depending on the tournament or day). Contrary to popular belief, Ultimate does require a fair amount of skill and athleticism. However, in many cases, it is much more laid back than other sports.
I have some experience as a captain when I helped lead our B team to a 9th place finish in the city tournament (which was one place from making the state tournament). Pretty impressive for a B team if I do say so my self. I was also an alternate captain last year when both of the regular captains were absent for a retreat. That was a fun but exhausting weekend because we had a 3 game round-robin on a Saturday and a 3 game tournament that following Sunday. The Sunday when the games really mattered happened to be said senior retreat at our school so every senior except for one was gone. We ended up winning the tournament with the remaining A team squad along with some members of the B team who we had to pull up for the event.
Both Jacob and I play for our school. We are one of the top teams in the state. We placed 2nd in the state tournament and we have the chance of a lifetime to take the 'ship this coming season. My sister plays Ultimate as well. However, she plays for her school so it's quite the spectacle when we square off (also for the record, her school hasn't beaten me yet even when I was on the B team). She is captaining for her team as a Junior. Mad props to her. She'll do great.
Wish us luck during this upcoming season. Might blog again soon but before I go, here's a picture of me while in action as a Freshman. My mom said not to brag too much about how gloriously epic this photo is.

No comments:
Post a Comment