Saturday, November 2, 2019

30 Days Of Thanks - Day One and Two

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus -1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Many years ago, I joined my friend Autumn in writing everyday in November for the things we were thankful for. That went by the wayside when I started doing the October blogging challenge.  This year, inspired again by Autumn and my need for an intentional daily thanksgiving focus, I've decided to revive writing 30 Days Of Thanks. One guarantee of this endeavor, if you haven't yet cultivated this practice, is that there will difficult days when finding something to be thankful about will be a challenge.  And this is why I decided to take this on. I'm realizing, with all the new things in my life, it is so much easier to complain than to be appreciative. But it's tiresome to be ungrateful as the focus on the bad overshadows the prevalent good. Having recognized this impediment in my spiritual and temporal life, I have instituted Sundays my rest day from complaining and belly-aching. I'm sure the Lord could use less of my whining! This practice usually spills into my week as I try to turn the other cheek on the daily annoyances. What exactly am I complaining about?  The even bigger question is what have I NOT been complaining about!

I'm a day behind, so this post will be both for November 1st and today, the second.  For yesterday,  I was thankful that the week was ending on a good note. It's been a rough one with home repairs that needed to be addressed with a budget tiptoeing on the edge of disastrous. But since I am in the spirit of gratitude I was/am thankful that I can look back at my life and see how God has always seen us through it all, the good, the bad, the ugly, and yes, even the disastrous.

For today, I am thankful for a quiet day.  With all major commitments winding down for now, it was nice to be able to take a nap without the calendar and other pressing things disturbing my peace.  The All Soul's Day Mass was stellar and it was really the highlight of this beautifully quiet day.

What are you thankful for?
and I will always be thankful for coffee and warm blankets

2 comments:

  1. Yes, creating a thankful attitude has been key in living with chronic illness. I try to be specific to just that day. Today I'm thankful for quiet and sunshine! I may have to wrap up in a blanket and sit in it.

    ReplyDelete

Midweek Daybook - The Valley Of Decision

  Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision - Joel 3:14 Outside My Window ...